Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Nasty!

Woke up this morning quite late - my hours have changed, so I get a lie-in - because I'm going to be working a bit later than before.

Was all set to walk across the road - Kingsland Road of Sunny Dalston - when I encountered the irresistable urge to have a vomit. Not entirely sure why, I didn't drink heavily last night, nor did experiment with Sushi, so I'm a little perplexed.

I am wearing some truly nasty clothes today. Black trousers, navy blue badly cut jacket, a white shirt and a really shit tie. What is it with ties? We have a company dress code that insists that I, the long haired bearded bastard of rock that I am, have to wear a camp bit of silk around my neck. What genius invented that?

Well, it won't be forever. By hook or by crook I'm going to pull myself up and out of all of this.
Now, it could be time for a shave. My beard is looking a bit Father Christmas. It will, ofcourse, look horrific for about a week afterwards. Praise the Lord!

It seems that I'm going to have a couple of gigs lined up in the near future. One for me, and one for the band. Spoke with Danny The Drummer last night, and he's keen on the band gig, I've suggested that we try to book something else in on the day/weekend following too, so that we can make the most of it. I suspect that I will travel up to Lincoln for the rehearsals. It could be a fairer way of balancing out the journeying that everyone is going to have to put in. There are some good rehearsal rooms - I think - around here in Dalston and Shoreditch too, and I'm more ready to use these than I was the ones in Camden. We've also got a great place up in Rugby too, that Llee found. Its cheap. Isolated. Has a stage and plenty of space, enough to record, we used it a month ago. So, we have options. We can play and practice wherever the fuck we like, we can pretty much pay whatever the fuck we like.

As long as I don't get too distracted by a bottle of scotch, guilt or the failure of my latest half-cock grandious attempt to save the world then we should go onto great things. As long as the 'Rambo with a brandy glass' alter-ego doesn't rear his ugly addled head, then I should remain pretty balanced and financially solvent.

I'm still trying to get hold of my friend Joe - he who is the genial monkey who has set-up an events company - to talk to him about VJs. That's the next trick, get a VJ who can add something really powerful to the musical mix. A 21st century rebirth for Mike Leonard and the Hornsey College of Art's Sound and Light workshop. That gives me something else to equate. Is it necessary to this brand of rock music, and if not, then the purist in me has to think about whether he can some unecessary dilutions of rock n roll.

The sour minded capitalist bastard cynic in me - and the performer - also says, that rock n roll is entertainment too. Its show business. But what a deadly weapon that is, a real Trojan Horse, because its the cheapest dirtiest low art form at times, but it can, has, and will again be capable of transcending barriers in a way no other art form can. Primitive and sophisticated. Vulgar and elegant. Immediate and abstract. All these things simultaneously. Bang.

Tom.

P.S. Tom, shut up, go and vomit some more before work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter