Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Technology Is My/Our Friend

We've finally got the internet up and running in the new house. I don't have it yet myself, as the Ratcomputer is still waiting to return following its upgrade. It'll be good to get back online at home though, in the summer of 2005 I designed a new website for The Change, but then moved to London and didn't have a way of updating it.

I've found Myspace a really great alternative, vastly superior in many respects - I can actually get web traffic on it (as in people) - but there's no place like home, and with my buddies at Art Concept, I can do things with the web that are beyond the reach of a lot of people who like me don't have any money. I have some ideas for things that I'd like to do with a new site, but this time I think that I'll step back from designing it. Its a really big distraction, and we've got access to this fab piece of software that is going to make maintenance much quicker and easier. I'm sick to the back teeth of slow moving old Dreamweaver.

It'll also give me a chance to get my Independent Artists Company page up to speed before I try to flog -sorry, "release" - the mini opera on it.

Speaking of such, I was in a quandry the other day about how to record the demos for my Gate project, because I really need more scope than my analogue four track can provide. So...I've found the answer. And its gorgeous. The only decision now is whether I go for a 16 or 24 track unit. I may need to put the 24 track dream on ice for the moment, and use the difference in outlay to buy a couple of new extra microphones.

Once that's done, I'll be able to record demos like a God. Sadly, it'll be goodbye to analogue. No way that I can afford a 1/4 " analogue machine...or run it either. But I'd like to still use my old Tascam on occasion and master it onto the new studio. If only women were as warm to me as the sound of analogue recording.

It hasn't been a very hard decision to make about this studio. The question mark was over whether it would be better to buy some stage gear for the band, but that, I've concluded, should be a joint venture...and this studio is for personal use (and by extension the bands also).
I really wouldn't be able to embark upon this new creative path without this equipment, ofcourse there is always more equipment that I feel that I need...a synthesiser would open up whole new ball games in terms of the sound that I use, or maybe an organ (not likely to be able to fit a Hammond with a Lesley cab. in my room, I think). But this should be a good start. One other thing...it has a drum machine. And according to the average life expectancy for English men, I have 52 years left to learn how to use it.

I NEED MORE TIME!!!

Peace and Love,

Tom.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tommy,

I will be back next week on wednesday night. We need to talk!
Sorry I have not been in touch but I will explain.
Take care.

9/01/2006 1:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter